About Me

My photo
Hi, welcome to my blog, I am a writer of short stories, children's and YA novels . An acceptance from People's Friend finally made me a published writer! Yeah, happy days! I have since had stories published in The Weekly News and The Last Laugh anthology. My main love is writing children's/YA novels...I'm now enduring a fruitless search for an agent... I also draw and paint, I like to draw animals (usually my adorable crazy cats!)Occasionally famous people and motorcycles.

Thursday 15 July 2010

Think Happy Thoughts



The majority of my bookshelves are full of books that I loved as a child. Enid Blyton of course, lots of those, my favourites were The Magic Faraway Tree and Binkle and Flip. I used to have a whole load of Famous Fives but they must have been given away, I can't remember.

Anyway, I was looking for something to read, having skipped through 'Friday nights' by Joanna Trollope (I couldn't really get into it, it just isn't my thing) and decided on The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This is a lovely book, here is a quote which I feel sums up the feel of the book.

'To let a sad thought or a bad one enter your mind is as dangerous as letting a scarlet fever germ get into your body, If you let it stay there after it has got in you may never get over it as long as you live.'

In case anyone hadn't read it, the book is about how a sickly child grows healthy and happy whilst tending an abandoned garden. It is set in Yorkshire and the accents are very prevelant on the page!

I noticed the story was first published in 1911, it's nearly a hundred years old! It is also interesting to see how story writing styles have changed over the years. This book has long sentances, often very long paragraphs and descriptive scenes, but after all this time I still find it thoroughly charming! It's a feel good book.

So, happy thoughts everyone, you'll feel better for it!

Anyone else have childhood favourites that are still thoroughly readable now we're grown up (ish)?

8 comments:

  1. The Secret Garden is a lovely book - and that's a terrific (and very true) quote.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I adored the Famous Five! Winnie the Pooh is another favourite!!:-)Roald Dahl too.

    Thanks for this lovely quote - wise words indeed from an absolute classic!!

    Lovely
    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real words of wisdom in that quote!

    I loved 'The Wheel on the School' by Meindert de Jong and was thrilled to find a copy in a second-hand bookshop a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have quite a few of my favourite childhood books. It's lovely to revisit those much-loved characters occasionally. Moomins - they were at the top of my list!

    Think happy. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote and will offer it as words of wisdom to one of my daughters, who is suffering from teenage angst and negative thoughts at the moment.

    My favourite childhood book is The Growing Summer by Noel Streatfeild.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Thanks for your comment :o))
    I love the Secret Garden. The positive thinking in the story also stood out. I thought it was amazing considering it was written so long ago. I loved the old fashion voice.
    I have all of Mum's Famous Five hardcover books. They are probably worth a bit now.
    Little Tiger looks gorgeous. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got into the Faraway Tree, but loved all the school and mystery stories that Enid Blyton churned out. And I had the Ladybird book of The Secret Garden but never read the full thing - now I think I need to re-address this balance! As for childhood favourites - gosh, tons! The Borrowers are rather fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I have a whole library of children's books from picture flats by David McKee to novels like The Chocolate Touch and Harry Potter. However, I don't own 'Secret Garden', but feel it is one that I should have in my collection.To think it has been around for 100 years and is still a good read is fantastic.
    BTW I love your artwork. good luck with your own novel.
    Madeleine x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your comments, thank you!