About Me

My photo
Hi, welcome to my blog, I am a writer of short stories, children's and YA novels . An acceptance from People's Friend finally made me a published writer! Yeah, happy days! I have since had stories published in The Weekly News and The Last Laugh anthology. My main love is writing children's/YA novels...I'm now enduring a fruitless search for an agent... I also draw and paint, I like to draw animals (usually my adorable crazy cats!)Occasionally famous people and motorcycles.

Monday 7 February 2011

Someone Has To Die...

No, no I'm not in a psychotic rage, far from it.

Spikethecat 'Someone has to die vol. 4' Competition results are out! There was a winner, a runner up and ten others to go in an anthology, and my story has been selected as one of those ten. Yay!
Congratulations to all the winners!

In other news, I haven't deleted the old manuscript. I got very cross with it, deleted vast amounts of waffle and have saved it on the old USB stick for another day. Thank you for all your comments, maybe someday the original idea will emerge as a bigger, better, brighter story.

On a completely different note, corned beef. I remember when if money was a bit tight, a tin of corned beef, potatoes, carrots and onions would make a great value family stew. Corned Beef Hash. Suddenly Corned Beef is £2 a tin. I'm sure it was only last year I was buying it for about 80p. It's not fair. Corned Beef Hash is just a hash without the corned beef.

And creme eggs...52p! Agh! Luckily the six pack was half price at Tesco so I congratulated myself on being a savvy shopper and ate them all in celebration.

How many more of the old favourites are getting way too pricey? :(

6 comments:

  1. But which of the ten are you?!?!?!?! I'm looking at the list going - where are you penandpaints!??! LOL!!

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Well done you!!! Yay!!!!! Great news!!!!! YAYYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!

    I'm more a Kinder Surprise egg gal myself but I haven't had one in years!! I shall keep an eye out for the price when I go shopping tomorrow!! I'm curious now. £2 for corned beef is daylight robbery! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it into the anthology. Good for you!

    The price of everything seems shocking these days - or perhaps I'm just getting old! You practically need to take out a mortgage to buy a cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your success with the anthology! That's brilliant news.

    I used to love corned beef, but I'm a veggie now so those days of delicious hash are long gone. I can't believe the price! It was always a good standby when I was a student on a tight budget. I knew a girl who could make a hundred sandwiches for her boyfriend's cricket team using one tin of corned beef. I've never seen such thin slices. The trouble was, the last slice was that whitish part at the ends. I wouldn't have fancied that sandwich. I tended to hack it off, being impatient, and eat a lot of it before it went into the hash. I really miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done, pendandpaints. Terrific news.

    And yes, the price of everything is scary. But thank you for the half price creme egg hint - will go off to Tesco afer work (I'm sure I can work a couple of creme eggs a day into the diet).

    Suzanne (can't sign in as am at work, but wanted to leave congratulations asap rather than wait until tonight).

    XX
    PS I'm glad the old ms lives on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge congratulations on getting into the anthology :-) Great news!
    I thought it was a one-off when I couldn't see corned beef for under a couple of quids in Co-op the other day - but apparently not!
    And chocolate seems to have gone up more than anything else - I'm sure bog standard bars like Twirl, Twix etc were 40-odd pence until quite recently - now they're all 50p plus - and some are 60 ish - not that I've noticed of course, being on my post Christmas diet ... ahem ...
    Congrats again
    All best
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words!

    Old Kitty, I'm so sorry, I should really write under the name Ms. P A Paints to avoid confusion, hehe, thanks so much for the Woo hoo I can hear you from here! x

    Joanne, I know! I can't afford cauliflour, I should probably try growing my own!

    Joanna, 100 sandwiches with one tin, impressive! I have started doing two meals out of one tin though, it's still tasty!

    Suzanne, I was confused who anonymous was for a moment until you mentioned the creme eggs, I'm sorry I shouldn't have said! I went to buy some more today and they're sold out! (It's only a small store though) I can't complain I have eated lots!

    Thanks for sneaking a comment while at work!

    xx

    Karla, I know it's shocking, chocolate should be priced fairly for health reasons. It should be cheaper 'cause it makes us 'appy!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your comments, thank you!